(It's better to create than destroy what's unnecessary)

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Concrete - Opening

From March to December, writes Rudolf, while I was having to take large quantities of prednisolone, a fact which I am bound to record here, against the third acute onset of my sarcoidosis, I assembled every possible book and article written by or about Mendelssohn Bartholdy and visited every possible and impoossible library iin order to acquaint myself thoroughly with my favourite ocmposer and his work, preparing myself with the most passionate seriousness for the task, which I had been dreading throughout the preceding winter, of writing - such was my pretension - a major work of impeccable scholarship.



THIS IS A BORZOI BOOK
PUBLISHED BY ALFRED A. KNOPF, INC.

Translation Copyright 1984 by David McLintock
All rights reserved under
International and Pan-American Copyright Conventions.
Published in the United States by
Alfred A. Knopf, Inc., New York.

Originally published in Germany as Beton by
Suhrkamp Verlag, Frankfurt am Main.
Copyright 1982 by Suhrkamp Verlag
This translation originally published
in Great Britain in 1984 by
J. M. Dent & Sons Ltd.

Composed in Great Britain in VIP Sabon by
Biddles Ltd., Guildford
Printed and bound by
The Haddon Craftsmen, Scranton, Pennsylvania

Display typography and binding design by
David Connolly


Manufactured in the United States of America
First American Edition

No comments:

Labels