(It's better to create than destroy what's unnecessary)

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Moby Dick - Opening

Chapter 1
CALL me Ishmael. Some years ago -- never mind how long precisely -- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interestm e on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen, and regulating the circulation. Whenever I find myself growing grim about the month; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringin up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off -- then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can. This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.

2000 Modern Library Paperback Edition

All rights reserved under International and Pan-American Copyright
Conventions. Published in the United states by Modern Library, an imprint of the Random House Publishing Group, a division of Random House, Inc., New York, and simulatenously in Canada by Random House of Canada Limited, Toronto.

MODERN LIBRARY and the TORCHBEARER DESIGN
 are registered trademarks of Random House, Inc.

Printed in the United States of America

No comments:

Labels