(It's better to create than destroy what's unnecessary)

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Amulet - Opening

ONE
This is going to be a horror story. A story of murder, detection and horror. But it won't appear to be, for the simple reason that I am the teller. Told by me, it won't seem like that. Although, in fact, it's the story of a terrible crime.
I am a friend to all Mexicans. I could say I am the mother of Mexican poetry, but I better not. I know all the poets and all the poets know me. So I could say it.


For Mario Santiago Papasquiaro
(Mexico City, 1953-1998)

In our misery we wanted to scream for help,
but there was no one there to come to our aid.
--Petronius



Copyright 1999 by the Heirs of Roberto Bolaño
Translation copyright 2006 by Chris Andrews

Originally published as Amuleto by Editorial Anagrama Spain; published
in agreement with Agencia Literaria
Carmen Balcells, Editorial
Anagrama, and the Heirs of Roberto Bolaño

All rights reserved. Except for brief passages quoted in a newspaper, magazine,
radio, or television review, no part of this book may be reproduced
in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying
and recording, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in
writing permission in writing from the Publisher.


Manufactured in the United States of America.
New Directions Books are printed on acid-free paper.
First published as a New Directions Book in 2006.
Published simultaneously by Penguin Books Canada Limited.

New Directions Books are published for James Laughlin
by New Directions Publishing Corporation,
80 Eighth Avenue, New York 10011

No comments:

Labels