(It's better to create than destroy what's unnecessary)

Saturday, July 12, 2008

The Ego And His Own - pg. 240

Curative means or healing is only the reverse side of punishment,
the theory of cure runs parallel with the theory of
punishment;
if the latter sees in an action a sin against
right, the former takes it for a sin of the man against himself,
as a decadence from his health. But the correct thing is that I
regard it either as an action that suits me or as one that does not suit me
as hostile or friendly to me, that I treat it as my property, which I
cherish or demolish. "Crime" or "disease" are not either of them
an egoistic view of the matter, a judgment starting from me, but starting from another - to wit, whether it injures right, general right, or the health partly of te individual (the sick one), partly of the generality (society). "Crime" is treated inexorably, "disease" with "loving gentleness, compassion," and the like.

No comments:

Labels