(It's better to create than destroy what's unnecessary)

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Moby Dick - pg. 244

MY soul is more than matched; she's overmanned; and by a madman! Insufferable sting, that sanity should ground arms on such a field! But he drilled deep down, and blasted all my reason out of me! I think I see his impious end; but feel that I must help him to it. Will I, nil I, the  ineffable thing has tied me to him; tows me with a cable I have no knife to cut. Horrible old man! Who's over him, he cries; -- aye, he would be a democrat to all above; look, how he lords it over all below! Oh! I plainly see my miserable office, -- to obey, rebelling; and worse yet, to hate with touch of pity! For in his eyes I read some lurid woe would shrivel me up, had I it. Yet is there hope. Time and tide flow wide. The hated whale has the round watery world to swim in, as the small goldfish has its glassy globe. His heaven-insulting purpose, God may wedge aside. I would up heart, were it not like lead. But my wholeclock's run down; my heart the all-controlling weight, I have no key to lift again.

No comments:

Labels