(It's better to create than destroy what's unnecessary)

Monday, February 4, 2008

Marks Of Identity - pg. 254

"I would like to see Lives Without Aim published in the same collection as The Old Man and the Sea."
"Do you like William Faulkner/'
"He's a fraud. My favorite writers are Maugham and Vicki Baum."
"Are you familiar with Sartre's work?"
"My wife thumbed through one of his books and she says he writes about filth."
"And Kafka?"
"I've never read him."
"What do you think of Robbe-Grillet."
"Who did you say?"
"Are you follower of the nouveau roman?"
"Neither my wife nor I can handle French. Spanish is more than enough for us."
"How long did it take you to write your last novel?"
"Eight days."
"Do you rewrite."
"Never, What's gained in niceties is lost in a lack of spontaneity."
"What narrative technique do you prefer?"
"Technique is another fraud. Cervantes didn't know anything about theories when he wrote Don Quixote."
"Are you working on something new?"
"Yes. I have in mind a novel about the battle of the generations, between fathers and sons, and I'm going to set it in Harlem."
"Oh, you've been to the United States?"
"No, this is the first time I've ever been out of Spain."
"Do you like Paris?"

No comments:

Labels