(It's better to create than destroy what's unnecessary)

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Confessions - pg. 16

Great Jove,
Who shakes the highest heavens with his thunder,
And I, poor mortal man, not do the same!
I did it, and with all my heart I did it.

Not one whit more easily are the words learnt for this vileness, but by their means is the vileness perpetrated with more confidence. I do not blame the words, they being, as it were, choice and precious vessels, but the wine of error which was drunk in them to us by inebriated teachers; and unless we drank, we were beaten, without liberty of appeal to any sober judge. And yet, O my God -- in whose presence I can now with security recall this -- did I, unhappy one, learn these things willingly, and with delight, and for this was I called a boy of good promise.

No comments:

Labels