(It's better to create than destroy what's unnecessary)

Monday, April 5, 2010

Metamorphoses - Book 13:375

so I must rank above you. In the make-up of human
beings,
intelligence counts for more than our hands, and that is
our true strength.
'Princes of Greece, I call on you now to reward your
watchman.
Reward me for all those years of anxious and careful
devotion.
I ask you to give me the prize which I'm owed for my
dutiful service.
My work is complete: by removing the obstacle fate had
imposed,
by enabling the capture of Ilium's towers, I achieved their
capture.
By all the hopes that we share, by the toppling defences of
Troy,
in the name of the gods whose aid I recently stole from the
foe,
by anything yet to be done where intelligent action is
needed,
remember Ulysses! Or else, if it cannot be mine, let this
armour
be hers! -- and he pointed towards the fateful image of
Pallas.

No comments:

Labels