(It's better to create than destroy what's unnecessary)

Monday, April 5, 2010

Metamorphoses - Book 9:240

The flames were rising, spreading all round and crackling
loudly,
licking away at the limbs of the hero, who calmly awaited
a foe he despised. The gods were afraid for the Earth's great champion;
but Jupiter, sensing their fear and beaming with pure
satisfaction,
grandly addressed them: 'You gods, this anxiety of yours is
a pleasure
to me. I offer myself wholehearted congratulations
that I should be called the father and king of a people that
cares,
that a son of mine should be also supported by your good
wishes.
This support is a tribute, I'm sure, to his own magnificent
exploits,
but I am myself in your debt. Now truly, my faithful subjects,
you mustn't be needlessly frightened. Ignore those flames on
Mount Oeta.
The hero who conquered all will conquer the fire you are
watching.
Vulcan's power will only affect the part he derives
from his mother's side. The part he derives
from his mother's side. The part he derives from me is
eternal,
it cannot be touched by death and is fully resistant to fire.
This part, when its time on earth is complete, will be
welcomed by me
to the realms of the sky, and I trust this action of mine will
give pleasure

No comments:

Labels