(It's better to create than destroy what's unnecessary)

Friday, August 6, 2010

The Enigma Of Arrival - Opening

I. Jack's Garden

FOR THE first four days it rained. I could hardly see where I was. Then it stopped raining and beyond the lawn and outbuildings in front of my cottage I saw fields with stripped trees on the boundaries of each field; and far away, depending on the light, glints of a little river, glints which sometimes appeared, oddly, to be above the level of the land.

In loving memory
of my brother
SHIVA NAIPAUL
25 February 1945, Port of Spain
13 August 1985, London



First published 1987

Copyriught V. S. Naipaul, 1987

All rights reserved.
Without limiting the rights under copyright
reserved above, no part of this publication may be
reproduced, stored in or introduced into a retrieval system,
or transmitted, in any form or by any means (electronic, mechanical,
photocopying, reading or otherwise), without the prior
written permission of both the copyright owner and
the above publisher of this book

Made and printed in Great Britain by
Richard Clay Ltd, Bungay, Suffolk
Filmset in Monophoto Ehrhardt

No comments:

Labels