(It's better to create than destroy what's unnecessary)

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Enigma Of Arrival - pg. 52

To see the possibility, the certainty, of ruin, even at the moment of creation: it was my temperament. Those nerves had been given me as a child in Trinidad partly by our family circumstances: the half-ruined or broken-down houses we lived in, our many moves, our general uncertainty. Possibly, too, this mode of feeling went deeper, and was an ancestral inheritance, something that came with the history that had made me: not only India, with its ideas of a world outside men's control, but also the colonial plantations or estates of Trinidad, to which my impoverished Indian ancestors had been transported in the last century -- estates of which this Wiltshire estate, where I now lived, had been the apotheosis.

No comments:

Labels