(It's better to create than destroy what's unnecessary)

Friday, September 18, 2009

The Aeneid - pg. 17

"Goddess, if I should tell
Our story from the start, if you had leisure
To hear our annals of adversity,
Before I finished, the fair evening star
Would come to close Olympus and the day.
From old Troy -- if the name of Troy has fallen
Perhaps upon your ears -- we sailed the seas,
And yesterday were driven by a storm,
Of its own whim, upon this Libyan coast.
I am Aeneas, duty-bound, and known
Above high air of heaven by my fame,
Carrying with me in my ships our gods
Of hearth and home, saved from the enemy.
I look for Italy to be my fatherland,
And my descent is from all-highest Jove.
With twenty ship I mounted the Phyrgian sea,
As my immortal mother showed the way.
I followed the given fates. Now barely seven
Ships are left, bettered by wind and sea,
And I myself, unknown and unprovisioned,
Cross the Libyan wilderness, an exile
Driven from Europe and from Asia --"

No comments:

Labels