(It's better to create than destroy what's unnecessary)

Monday, September 28, 2009

The Aeneid - pg. 83

I said farewell, and tears came as I spoke:

'Be happy, friends; your fortune is achieved,
While one fate beckons us and then another.
Here is your quiet rest: no sea to plow,
No quest for dim lands of Ausonia
Receding ever. Here before our eyes
Are replicas of Xanthus and of Troy
Your own hands built -- with better auspices,
I pray, and less a challenge to the Greeks.
If one day I shall enter Tiber stream
And Tiber fields and see the walls my people
Have in store for them, then of these kindred
Cities, neighboring nations, in Epirus
And in Hesperia, both looking back
To Dardanus as founder, both to one
Sad history, we shall make a single Troy
In spirit: may this task await our heirs.'

No comments:

Labels