(It's better to create than destroy what's unnecessary)

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Aeneid - pg. 335

"What unmerited misfortune, Latins,
Could have embroiled you in so sad a war
That now you turn your backs on us, your friends?
Do you ask for peace from me for those whose lives
Were taken by the cast of Mars? Believe me,
I should have wished to grant it to the living.
Never should I have come here had not Fate
Alloted me this land for settlement,
Nor do I war upon your people. No,
Your king dropped our alliance, lent himself
Instead to Turnus' fighting. In all fairness,
Turnus should have faced death on this field.
If he would end the war by force, and drive
The Trojans out, he should have fought me, fought
My weapons; then the one for whom great Mars --
Or his own sword -- prevailed would have lived on.
[Go now, light fires beneath your wretched dead."

No comments:

Labels