(It's better to create than destroy what's unnecessary)

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Aeneid - pg. 316

At this point Jupiter slyly said to Juno:

"Sister and his wife, too, most delightful wife,
As you were thinking -- not amiss, that thought --
It must be Venus who sustains the Trojans,
Not their good right arms in war, their keen
Combativeness and fortitude in danger."
In low tones Juno answered:
"Darling husband,
Why provoked me, heartsick as I am,
And fearing as I do your grim decrees?
If my love mattered to you as it did
And should, you would not, O Omnipotent,
Deny me this: the power to spirit Turnus
Out of the battle and to keep him safe
For his father, Daunus. Well then, let him perish,
Give Trojans quittance with his gentle blood!
And yet he took his name from our own stock,

No comments:

Labels