(It's better to create than destroy what's unnecessary)

Monday, March 1, 2010

Monsieur Pain - Opening

PARIS, 1938

On Wednesday the sixth of April, at dusk, as I was preparing to leave my lodgings, I received a telegram from my young friend Madame Reynaud, requesting, with a certain urgency, my presence that evening at the Cafe Bordeaux, on Rue de Rivoli, relatively close to where I live, which meant that if I hurried, I could still arrive punctually at the specified time.

P. Does the idea of death afflict you?
V. (Very quickly). No--no!
P. Are you pleased with the prospect?
V. If I were awake I should like to die, but now it is no matter. The mesmeric condition is so near death as to content me.
P. I wish you would explain yourself, Mr Vankirk.
V. I am willing to do so, but it requires more effort than I feel able to make. You do not question me properly.
P. What then shall I ask?
V. You must begin at the beginning
P. The beginning! But where is the beginning?

"Mesmeric Revelation"
Edgar Allen Poe
for Carolina Lopez

Copyright 1999 by Roberto Bolaño
Translation copyright 2010 by Chris Andrews

Originally published by Anagrama, Barcelona, Spain, as Monsieur Pain in 1999; published by arrangements with the Heirs of Roberto Bolaño and Carmen Balcells Agencia Literaria, Barcelona.

All rights reserved. Except for brief passages quoted in a newspaper, magazine, radio, or telvision review, no part of this book may be reproduced in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying and recording, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the Publisher.

Manufactured in the United States of America
Published simultaneously in Canada by Penguin Books Canada, Ltd.
New Directions Books are printed on acid-free paper.
First published as a New Directions Book in 2010.

New Directions Books are published for James Laughlin
by New Directions Publishing Corporation,
80 Eighth Avenue, New York 10011

No comments:

Labels