(It's better to create than destroy what's unnecessary)

Friday, November 27, 2009

Meditations - pg. 85

It only remains to be considered whether there is some element in the idea of God that couldnot have originated from myself. By the word 'God' I mean a substance that s infinite, independent, supremely intelligent, supremely powerful, and the Creator of myself and anything else that may exist. The more I consider all these attributes, the less it seems possible for them to have originated from myself. So, by what I said above, it must be inferred that God exists.
I have indeed the idea of a substance just from the fact of being a substance; but I could not on that account have the idea of an infinite substance, for I myself am finite; unless, indeed, that idea proceeded from some substance that was really infinite.

No comments:

Labels