(It's better to create than destroy what's unnecessary)

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Meditations - pg. 98

Now when I do not perceive clearly and distinctly enough what the truth is, it is clear that if I abstain from judgment I do right and am not deceived. But if I assert or deny, I am using my free will wrongly; if the side I take is falsehood, then clearly I shall be in error; if I embrace the other side, I shall by chance fall upon the truth, but nevertheless this decision will be blameworthy; for it is obvious by the light of nature that perception by the understanding should always come before the determination of the will. There is inherent in this wrong use of free will the privation in which the nature (forma) of error consists; this privation, I say, is inherent in the actual operation in so far as it proceeds from me; not in the faculty I received from God, nor even in the operation, in so far as it depends on him.

No comments:

Labels