(It's better to create than destroy what's unnecessary)

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Odyssey - pg. 126

The sort of disgraceful deed which that woman plotted,
Devising murder for her wedded husband. I thought
Indeed that I would come home welcome to my children
And my servants. But she, with utter evil on her mind,
Poured shame upon herself and upon womenkind to come
Hereafter, even on one who might do good deeds.'
So he said, and then I addressed him in answer:
'Alas, broad-seeing Zeus has terribly hated
The descent of Atreus from the outset because of the plans
Of women. Many men perished because of Helen;
Clytemenstra made a plot against you while you were far away,
So I said, and he at once addressed me in answer:
'So never be mild yourself, henceforth, even to your wife.
Reveal to her no entire story that you know well,
But tell a part of it and the rest be concealed.

No comments:

Labels