(It's better to create than destroy what's unnecessary)

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Odyssey - pg. 158

But I think is not in order, nor will you convince me
When you speak about Odysseus. Why does a man like you need
To lie fruitlessly? Well do I myself also know
Of my master's return, that he has been very much hated
By all the gods, as they did not subdue him among the Trojans
Or in the arms of his friends, after he had wound up the war.
Then all the Achaians would have made him a funeral mound,
And he would have won great glory for his son, too, hereafter.
As it is, the storm winds have snatched him off without glory.
But I myself live apart among the swine. Nor do I
Go to the city unless prudent Penelope happens
To urge me to come when a message comes from somewhere,
But then the men sit there and ask for the details,
Both those who grieve for the master who is gone so long
And those who enjoy devouring a livelihood scot free.

No comments:

Labels