(It's better to create than destroy what's unnecessary)

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Wolf Hall - pg. 131

The cardinal says, 'I am praying for Queen Katherine ... also for the dear Lady Anne. I am praying for King Francois's much success that they forget how they need their friend and ally King Henry. I am praying for the king's Majesty and all his councillors, and for the beasts in the field, and for the Holy Father and the Curia, may their decisions be guided from above. I am praying for Martin Luther, and for all those infected with his heresy, and for all who combat him, more especially the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, our dear friend Thomas More. Against all common sense and observation, I am praying for everybody, I am praying for everything. That is what it is, to be a cardinal. Only when I say to the Lord, "Now, about Thomas Cromwell -" does God say to me, "Wolsey, what have I told you? Don't you know when to give up?"'

No comments:

Labels