(It's better to create than destroy what's unnecessary)

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Meditations - pg. 93

Certainly, so long as I think only of God, and turn my attention wholly to him, I can discern no cause of error or falsehood. But when I turn back to myself, I am aware of my liability to innumerable errors. When I look fora cause of these, I observe that I possess not only a real and positive idea of God, the supremely perfect being, but also what I may call a sort of negative idea of nothingness -- of that which is furthest removed from all perfection. I am a kind of intermediate between God and nothingness, between the Supreme Being, I have nothing in me to deceive me or lead me astray; nevertheless, in so far as I also participate somehow in nothingness, non-being -- that is, in so far as I am not myself the Supreme Being, and am lacking in no end of things -- it is not surprising that I am deceived. Thus I know at any rate that error as such is not a positive reality dependent on God, but merely a deficiency; and in order to go wrong I need no faculty expressly given me by God; I happen to go wrong because the faculty of right judgment that he has given me does not exist in me in an infinite degree.

No comments:

Labels