(It's better to create than destroy what's unnecessary)

Friday, November 13, 2009

Wolf Hall - pg. 645

But there was nothing new in it: not new anyway to him. I follow my conscience, More said, you must follow yours. My conscience satisfies me -- and now I will speech plainly -- that your statute is faulty (and Norfolk roars at him) and that your authority baseless (Norfolk roars again: "Now we see your malice plain'). Parnell had laughed, and the jury exchanged glances, nodding to each other; and while the whole of Westminster Hall murmured, More proffered again, speaking against the noise, his treasonable method of counting. My conscience hold with the majority, which makes me know it does not speak false. 'Against Henry's kingdom, I have all the kingdoms of Christendom. Against each one of your bishops, I have a hundred saints. Against your one parliament, I have all the general councils of the church, stretching back for a thousand years.'

No comments:

Labels