(It's better to create than destroy what's unnecessary)

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

India Wins Freedom - pg. 211

The day before he left, Lord Wavell presided over his last Cabinet meeting. After the business was over, he made a brief statement which made a deep impression on me. Lord Wavell said, "I became Viceroy at a very difficult and critical time. I have tried to discharge my responsibility to the best of my ability. A situation, however, developed which made me resign. History will judge whether I acted rightly in resigning on this issue. My appeal to you would, however, be that you should take no hasty decision. I am grateful to all of you for the cooperation I have received from you."
After this speech, Lord Wavell collected his papers quickly and walked away without giving any of us an opportunity to say anything. The next day he left Delhi.

No comments:

Labels